Chapters

Friday, July 3, 2009

Toxic

We were assigned at the ward for this week. Unlike last week, this week's duty spelled t-o-x-i-c --for me, that is.

The wing was almost full house. I had 2 patients. Fair enough 'cause we all have the same fate. The difference was that one of my patient had a biliary drainage tube and a jejunostomy tube in her abdomen. Honestly, I already sensed the toxicity. Yet on the back of my mind I know there's got to be a purpose why I was assigned to this patient and this experience will help me learn a lot.

First day. My mind was flying. Is it safe to say that I have been intoxicated for like 6 to 7 over 8 hours of my duty? Haha! At the end of my duty I can say that, "today, I have been of use" (Kung sa bisaya pa, "napuslan ko karong adlawa"). Hahahaha! Not like last week wherein I almost did nothing. Hehe. I just stared at the floor most of the time because I don't have anything to do. Thank God for the people who helped me.

Second day. I already got used to the procedures this particular patient of mine has. I can say I was already confident then. (A big thanks to my bedside nurse.) I don't think I will ever feel toxic-ness that day but I was wrong. The watcher inflicted toxic-ness as we were trying to change the linens of my patient (who was her mother) on complete bed rest without bathroom privilege. Yes, she helped me but damn what could some two ladies' strength do? Finally we managed to get it over with. I left the room with droplets of sweat all over my forehead.

Third day. I only had one patient for the third day. This time she was not assigned to anyone of us --student nurses. I admit I missed being toxic because of her but I thought it was a rest time for me. I was relaxed when someone from the nurse station called for me. My client's watcher went to the station to tell the nurses they needed assistance in changing diaper. I thought it was just plain changing of her soiled diaper. Rather, I ended up changing her linens again after waiting for her to finish pooping, assisting her watcher clean her, and changing the diapers. Thank God because my bedside nurse this time was a male. And four of us were there to change the linens so it was easier to move her sideways and faster to pull the linens and tuck it in place.

I super thank God for this week's duty. Not only for the things I've learned but also for the toxic-ness I have experienced. Where else will I feel the essence of being a nurse if not from toxic-ness?

1 comment:

  1. apir ma. Hahaha. Although mine was not so toxic as yours, medyo na-werla jud ko. Hehehe. Naanad sa duty nga murag vacation for less than a hundred. *lol*

    ReplyDelete

Work those fingers! :X