Chapters

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Apple Scent

I still can't forget how the entire Emergency Room stinks. Smells, rather. Yesterday they had their "general cleaning". Oh how we wished they also had the Observation Area cleaned. CIU (I forgot what this stands for.. Haha! Oh. It's Crisis Intervention Unit. Thanks to Gg.. Haha!) and the Treatment was cleansed and "scented" with Apple Juice (as Miguel said it was).

Various cases were present. There was this guy who had been slashed by his drinking buddy in his arm. Another had his left point finger cut when it was stuck in between something I forgot what that was. Hehe. Too bad I wasn't able to try doing CPR on an actual patient. By the way, I was assigned together with 4 other groupmates at the Observation Area. I was able to handle this patient as I did my routinary vital signs check. He was so restless and I remember him saying things like he's having delusions. Few hours later, he was brought to CIU. There he was intubated. After a little while, I saw that he was screened and that Miguel was on top of him doing external cardiac compressions.

There was also this scenario where I was convicted that before I get married and have a family of my own, me and my future husband must be stable --physically, emotionally, psychologically, and most of all, financially. This couple's 5-month old child came in due to fever and vomiting. Well, it was a public hospital. A patient's needs won't be attended that much as compared to a private hospital. Maybe because they are financially challenged? Or because there are a lot of patients? Whatever. The mother, who I think was in her early 20s, felt helpless and anxious about her child's condition that all she can ever do was to sit in the corner and bury her head in her hands. The father, who was also of the same age with his partner as I guess, was trying to be a man for his family. A sad scene to see.

Apple Scent. I don't think that the ER smelled like apple. It was more like the metallic smell of blood and different people's sweat and odor. Hmm... I don't see myself working there in the future. At least I've survived for 2 days. Hehehe :X

1 comment:

Work those fingers! :X